We will process any personal information we obtain in the course of providing our services to you in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation and in line with our own Data Protection Policy. We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected and that you know how your data is used and what your rights are.
Novus Underwriting Ltd is the controller of your data for the purpose of the sale and administration of your contract of insurance and for the broking of any related finance arrangement. This means that we are the business that decides what your data is used for. If you have any questions about how we handle your data, you can contact our data protection representative at our registered address:
Novus Underwriting Ltd
34 Lime Street
Alternatively, you can contact the Compliance Department by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aside from data collected pursuant to the activities outlined under the sub-heading ‘Credit checks’, any personal data we collect will come directly from you or your chosen representative. This may include your name, your address, your contact details, information relevant to your policy, and demographic information. At times and dependent upon the nature of your policy, this may include data that the law classifies as being part of a special category, such as data relating to your health. It also includes all details you provide to us via telephone calls, all of which are recorded for quality, training and crime prevention purposes.
We only use your data for the purpose of administering or providing you with an insurance policy and the services associated therewith, and potentially to provide you with marketing material in relation to products, services, and information that we believe you may find interesting.
Certain items of data we collect from you may form part of a statutory or contractual requirement that we need to meet in order to provide you with an insurance policy.
Data protection legislation requires us to have a lawful basis for processing your personal data. We rely on the following when administering or arranging your contract of insurance and, where applicable, premium finance:
• Consent – where you have given us explicit consent to use your data for a specific purpose.
• Contract – where our use of your data is necessary for the entering into or fulfilment of your contract of insurance.
• Legitimate interests – where our use of your data is necessary for your legitimate interests.
Where your data is part of a special category, we will only process it on the basis that it is in the public interest to do so, under the legal exemption for insurance.
We will only hold your data for as long as we require it to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected. On this basis, we may hold your data for up 40 years post-expiry of your cover – for example, where a product you have chosen includes any type of insurance where a claim could be made by you or a third party even after your contract with us has ended, such as liability insurance. After this period, your data is deleted.
In administering your insurance and, where applicable, arranging premium finance, it will be necessary for us to pass such information to insurers and other relevant product or service providers which may also provide us with business and compliance support. We may also disclose details to relevant parties, as necessary, to comply with regulatory or legal requirements. We may contact you or pass your details to other companies associated with us in order to promote products or services which may be of interest to you. We will not otherwise use or disclose the personal information we hold without your consent.
Your data will not be transferred outside of the United Kingdom except in the following circumstances:
- Where the nature of your insurance is outside of the United Kingdom and such a transfer is required for the performance of your insurance contract. If this is the case, you can request full details of any such transfer and of the safeguards we will implement to ensure its security. We only carry out such transfers in a secure manner with adequate technical protection.
- Where we contact you to promote products or services which may be of interest to you, we may do so via an emailing service that is based in the United States of America. Full details about the technical security in place can be provided upon request, but please be assured that the service provider has implemented protective measures to ensure its compliance with security standards on an international scale.
It is important to us that you are aware of the rights you have in relation to the personal data we hold about you. You can:
- Ask us to give you further information about the collection and use of your data.
- Ask us to give you access to your data.
- Ask us to rectify your data where you have identified that it is inaccurate.
- Ask us to erase your data.
- Ask us to move, copy or transfer your data.
- Ask us to stop or restrict use of your data.
- Object to our use of your data on the basis of legitimate interests and for direct marketing.
- Withdraw any consent you have previously given us.
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting our data protection representative as per the details above.
As well as contacting us, you have the right to lodge a complaint with our supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can do so by using their live chat facility at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/or by calling them on 0303 123 1113.
34 Lime Street,
Novus Underwriting Limited is an appointed representative of Direct Insurance Group PLC, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Firm Ref. No. 306080. You can check this on the Financial Services Register. Novus Underwriting Limited is covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service. See www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk for details. Registered in England and Wales, Company No: 10844265. Registered Office: 129 High Street, Billericay CM12 9AH